Victor Begins Agility

Is your Britt fast and agile? Stop in here to see if Agility is for you!

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

Buckley will do anything for jerky-especially venison. You can always make your own with a relatively inexpensive food dehydrator and a variety of safe meats.
Buckley - I own this mountain.

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

Congrats to you both!
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Lorie »

On the jerky items I would take a pair of kitchen shears and cut into small pieces and use that for training treats. Then put some in a sandwich bag for your pocket. I ordered a food dehyrator and can't wait for it to get here, it will pay for itself in no time. Especially since I have 4 Britts of my own and no one has any allergy issues.
Lorie

"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I will probably be a dog. Sigh! There's so little room for advancement."
Snoopy

Treat Dispenser
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Treat Dispenser »

Barney loves grapes, room temperature is preferred :lol: I pick the small ones off the cluster to save for him.
"I'm in LOVE with something that's orange and white, but it's definetly not an orangescicle."

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

My trainer indicated grapes are a big NO for dogs - just like onions.

The good news is there has been no further indication of an allergic reaction to the all-beef hot dogs - so maybe we can begin there.

I mentioned shrimp to my husband and he didn't seem to think it was extravagant. So I might snag a bag and try it.

And just a side note... Victor is also a therapy dog. We make weekly visits to patients in a local hospital or nursing home. All the women love his soft, wavy coat and every man reacts the same way - "Now there's my kind of dog!" and then we talk about the hunting dogs they've had. Brittanys might just be the perfect breed for therapy work!

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

One more time...

Here is Victor's picture...

emason
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by emason »

We do pet therapy with our britts Casey and Oakes also. The men in the nursing homes just adore them. They are always make comments about them being "real dogs" not little foo-foo mops.

Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Lorie »

Victor you are a very handsome boy indeed :D :D :D.
Lorie

"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I will probably be a dog. Sigh! There's so little room for advancement."
Snoopy

HOPE
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by HOPE »

I agree with Lorie. He is so handsome and has a gentle look in the eyes. Thanks for posting the picture we love pictures.
Last edited by HOPE on Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie M.
I promise I will be good this year

Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Lorie »

I mentioned shrimp to my husband and he didn't seem to think it was extravagant. So I might snag a bag and try it.
That is good to know :D.

My son bought shrimp for our Valentine's Day Dinner and after I peeled the shrimp, I put all of the shells from the two pounds he bought into a pan with water. Cooked it on very low heat to make shrimp stock. Today I made dog cookies with that shrimp stock and got to say for dog cookies they smell great. The smell is also making the dogs go crazy, I have five best friends.
Lorie

Snoopy

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Just wanted to add another suggestion for training treats. I believe Wellness makes a canned fish/potato food. You can open both ends of the can, slide out the formed food, slice it in to "cookies" and bake on low heat for a couple hours until you have an actual soft cookie. It's a good option for dogs with a very limited diet, since you already know they can handle eating the food.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by swillow66 »

Alifaire-
Let me give you an '"official" welcome. You were kind enough to send me Victor's very handsome photo for my dog event this weekend.

He is a an absolute doll and I just love his heart!

Welcome again - Shelli
Madison and Riley "Waiting for Spring!"

To the world you are just one person, but to one person you can mean the world

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

Baking the canned dog food is a great idea!

I also found salmon training treats at CleanRun.com. They are soft and tiny so I think they will work also. Gotta have variety!

Thanks so much.

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

First, thanks for the tips on different treats. Although DH hates the smell of canned dog food drying in the oven Victor stands in front of the oven barking for a treat!

The new treats really got Victor's attention at agility last night.

Here's the question that will get a few of you laughing.... What do you do to get your dog's attention and get them 'rev'd up' for agility?

At home I can 'rev up' Victor in a heart beat. Get him in the agility ring and he wants to be everybody else's new best friend - that is if he's nose is not velcroed to the floor.

I've tried his favorite toys - jumping around like a fool - talking in goofy voices - and he responds like "ok - I'll come over there if you'll stop embarrassing me"!

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Here's the question that will get a few of you laughing.... What do you do to get your dog's attention and get them 'rev'd up' for agility?
Actually, I don't really "rev up" Buster, I work more on getting him focused on me. So, I will shovel treats in his mouth for sitting nicely and watching me, I'll do tricks with him (spin, touch, down). Basically, I try to get him in the mindset of offering behaviors for rewards. Once he realizes that doing stuff means treats, he's more than willing to work for me. Of course, Buster is a chow hound, and will do anything for a treat.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD